Monday, May 12

Super Heroes


So I hear from our friends that those classic superheroes are back by popular demand! I never got into superheroes much...I knew about Superman & Superwoman, He-man & She-ra, Batman, Robin & of course the infamous Spiderman & Space Ghost. But...I’ve officially discovered the 1st ever real life superhero...& yes, despite the low probability given above, it’s a woman!

The Qualifications:
  1. -remains calm under intense pressure,
  2. -provides consistent responses to unpredictable expressions of free will,
  3. -has the ability to do a minimum of 3-5 things at once, literally,
  4. -strategically balances a minimum of 50 lbs unevenly distributed between arms & hips (with at least 20 lbs of that wiggling), and
  5. -comes up with at least two options (one she wants and one that’s undesirable but can be followed through with) for every situation in an effort to persuade & direct a young mind to make a good choice.
Well…today I took Addie (2 months) to Birmingham to visit some college friends and their kids: Allison who has Abigail (3 and a half), Jack (18 months) and Izzy (4 months) and Lauren who has Ryan (14 months). We decided to meet at California Pizza Kitchen. So Allison called ahead and got us a table for 8…with 4 chairs, 2 highchairs, and 2 infant carrier holder things. (see picture below for visual)…and this is where the superhero emerged!

We had so much fun visiting! Abigail got to hold Addie (see below) and told me that when Addie got bigger, maybe she could come over and play with her kitchen and shop! What fun!!! Us girls got to catch up on old friends and share about our kids and things we’re learning (or wish we weren’t learning!). As Allison was taking Abby to the bathroom (with Izzy in tow), Lauren and I were commenting on how well we thought the lunch went. But, what I witnessed during this two hour period was phenomenal…I can’t say that I’ve ever seen any one person be able to maintain all composure while:
  • -simultaneously carrying on one conversation with adults and another with a child,
  • -cutting up pizza for one while another one cries,
  • -keeping the unpredictable “wildcard” from launching his sippy cup across the table (not out of defiance but just a new found talent that only boys seem to find fascinating on a regular basis (I’m sure your son/husband "shoots" (or still shoots) things into the trashcan as if it’s expected...at least mine does)
  • -but all the while feeding a baby!
No, there may not be eight kids like the Gosselins or eighteen like the Duggars are soon to have…but I think three under the age of four constitutes as an equivalent! Amazing!

so...with:
  • -a minimum of 4 sweet tea refills each,
  • -3 fabulous pastas,
  • -2 infant feedings,
  • -only 1 or so minor meltdowns, and
  • -0 complaints of our presence...
we walked away:
  • -in 1 piece,
  • -leaving only 2 crayons on the floor,
  • -with all the contents of 3 diaper bags,
  • -maybe 4 or a few more grey hairs than we started with, and
  • -all 5 children in tow
but …
with a "super" 50% off coupon, our $60 bill turned into
allowing 3 adults & 2 children to eat for a mere $30!

yes...i have found the new Super Woman!!!


Jack, Allison, Izzy, and Abby


Ryan, Lauren, and Addie


Abby and Jack (eating lemons...something they'd never done before! check out Jack's face!)
Allison knows which battles to pick!

Abigail holding Addie (she's kissing Addie!!!)


visiting at Lauren's house

1 comment:

  1. Anna--that's the funniest thing I've ever read!! I wish I could claim "Superwoman" status, but I'm far from worthy of that title!! I pray every single day that God will strengthen and guide me as I raise these three little ones, so all glory and admiration goes to Him. :-)

    ReplyDelete