I remember in middle/high school I had a few friends (yes, they were actually friends) who loved to call me Root Fro.
Well...because I had a fro! It was next to impossible to find someone who knew how to cut curly hair well. It was either truly a fro or it turned into a symmetrical triangle. Not a pretty sight. Completely unruly.
I later came to grips with my curly hair, found a fabulous stylist to do just that...style it, and finally landed on the right products to use on it. And then I started to like it just a little. There were no curling irons or curlers. No flat hair in the humidity (it just got curlier!). And most of all, no perms! (yes, i'm dating myself!).
Addie has curly hair and Audrey Kate is getting her fair share of curls, but Anne Perry's hair is, well, super curly! we've decided that it grows out and up and not down! fro in the making!
The last time I cut my hair I was 6 weeks pregnant with the twins. That was almost 2 years ago. I've never gone that long. I decided when it hit well below my shoulders that if it was that long, that i'd just keep growing it and donate it.
As many of you know, my mom had breast cancer almost 5 years ago. She did have chemo and lost all of her hair; and while she did not wear a wig made of real hair, there are many cancer patients who do. There is a well known national organization who creates wigs for children and adults who have lost their hair, but apparently they are inundated with hair and sell the extra. So I chose to donate to the Pantene Beautiful Links program. They have very specific guidelines and hold an exemplary reputation.
So it grew.
And it grew.
And it grew.
And all i did was wear it pulled back and folded up. Because this was how long it was...
can we say unruly? yes! so on tuesday i got it cut. and this is what i left with! 8 inches of hair later!
i don't have a great picture of it now, which i know makes this post a bit incomplete; but it's right at my shoulders when it's dry.
I'd say that constitutes as being chopped...& significantly cooler!



HOLY COW!!!! You go girl!!!! I didn't know it was so long - guess because it was pulled back most of the time. It's beautiful - can't wait to see it in person!! And for the record, I never called you, "Root Fro"!!!! But, I sure remember the people who did :) Love you friend.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome! I chopped off my hair with Ian and it is taking forever to grow back, but I do have to get it trimmed every 6-8 weeks or it goes out.
ReplyDeleteI too was told I had a fro....
I love Anne Perry's hair!
Anna - I also donated my hair to the Pantene program. It took a LONG time (read like six months), but I finally got a letter in the mail from them acknowledging they got my donation. I was beginning to wonder where my ponytail had ended up! :o)
ReplyDelete