They took the hurt, the bad, and the utter devastation and chose to use it for God's glory over and over and over again...
Growing up, I remember the feed the children commercials, the swollen bellies, the cries for help. But what could I do?
I also remember rolling my eyes when I'd hear someone say:
eat your dinner/don't be wasteful/there are children dying of starvation in such-n-such country.
And i am mortified at my callousness because there were.
And there still are many, many people without enough food or clean water...very basic needs for survival.
pictures can be worth a thousand words, and the pultzer prize winning photograph by kevin carter does just that. although surrounded by controversy, it raised thousands for relief efforts in the mid 1990's. it is a graphic depiction of the reality we must chose to face.
but the thing is, the extensive lack of basic needs never went away. sure, it got better, but it never went away. the national news has once again chosen to cover the harsh reality of what these families are facing. the current widespread famine caused by the severe drought in Africa is tremendous.
Most of us are not in a position to hop on a plane and go assist these precious children, but we can chose to give. whether we'd like to admit it or not, we have far more than any of those families. our.basic.needs.are.met. there are reputable organizations that immediately funnel donations into these countries and directly to these families. Compassion is one of those organizations.
I watch my little girls, their chubby cheeks and rolly legs, bright eyes and energetic spirits...and i am thankful. I listen to my 3 year old who doesn't want to eat her dinner and gently remind her of the very sick weeping children she happened to see on the news who are in fact...
dying of starvation.
And I know we can choose to make a difference.
Will you...?
From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded
Luke 12: 48b
No comments:
Post a Comment