We talk (ha, when I can talk!) a lot (and i mean a lot) around here about honoring our father and mother and how to do that. But not just doing it, doing it with a happy heart. I fully understand that no child will ever {always} like what they are being asked to do or actually always {want} to do it, but goodness knows it is vital to teach them to have a willing, grateful, obedient heart! We're in an intense growing, molding, and training stage of their lives. It makes for some long days. Some extreme exhaustion. And lots of time spent in prayer. But the breakthroughs are priceless.
This post is not so much about those breakthroughs but maybe the breakdowns. There have been a few things that have come out of Addie's mouth recently where I've had to use all the self-control I can muster not to laugh (or cry!) or over-react. We don't tolerate sassiness or talking back and absolutely not direct defiance, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen!
I wrote down a few things Addie said so I could share them with Paul when he got home. Clearly she didn't get away with most of this. There were consequences. But it doesn't mean we didn't get a good laugh out of {some of} what she said later!
---
Addie picked up Audrey Kate. When questioned {and reminded that we don't and why we don't}, she informed me that she was just doing gymnastics with Audrey Kate.
Addie pushed Audrey Kate later. In the discussion as she pointed at the door, she told me that sign on the door says push! I'm all about imagination, but this is stretching it!
As I was getting out of the shower, I realized that Finn was chewing on something. That something happened to be one of my favorite black shoes that I had told Addie to put back in our closet as she was prancing around in them the day before. Oh.My.Word! She and Finn were in big trouble! Her {excited} response: but mommy, look, he didn't chew the other one! >:-/
Her newest thing is to sigh at us when we dont do something fast enough or just don't do what she wants us to to. Not.gonna.cut.it. I reminded her {once} not to sigh at me. Her response: I wasn't sighing mommy, I was just breathing.
Swishing spit around in her mouth for the umpteenth time, i {
HUH?
But then when her baby sister cries (not from anything she's done!), she goes and finds a pacie or her lovie and brings it to them.
She loves to help us, especially cook.
She reminds me multiple times daily that: God watches over us, We don't need to be afraid because God watches over us (I'm pretty sure she's reminding herself of this too). And that God loves us {so} much.
And more frequently than I ever imagined possible, she looks up at me and {randomly} sweetly says, I love you, Mommy.
...this too shall pass, the good and the not so good, but we're committed to the training and loving and teaching all while working extra hard to enjoy every.step.of.the.journey we've been blessed to walk with our girls!
------
Addie's verse at school this month is Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God.
A sweet reminder of God's truth...even for the little things in life.




i LOVE that post and i LOVE those pictures!!!!! (and i LOVE you, too!) :-)
ReplyDeleteWonderful post and a reminder that "I'm not the only one!" Micah is very defiant and does some ridiculously gross things, too (he is a 3 year old boy, after all)... I try to be calm and firm and follow through... but yes, some days are exhausting. The best reward though, are all of those random little "I love you"s!! (Even though most of mine end with the words "stinky mommy! Girls are icky!" Sigh.....)
ReplyDeleteOh these pictures are so beautiful!!!!!
ReplyDeleteShe is one smart clever little girl. I know that does not make you any less frustrated, but she reminds me of some of my gifted students.
ReplyDelete