Addie and I flew (for Addie's very 1st time) to
So angels you ask...? It's amazing to realize how God so carefully orchestrates things, even as trivial as making traveling with a 5 month old a tad easier by the people He places in your path:
My aunt for starters: had us up and out the door with fruit and snacks packed neatly away and headed for coffee to keep me going, "parked" at the drop off curb to get us unloaded, found the "bag guy" to come pick up my HUGE bag, not to mention the fact that she drove all the way to the airport to drop us off in the first place (and came back on Friday to meet us and return Addie's car seat and pack-n-play)!
The bag guy: my bag was over the weight limit by 5-6 lbs; I grabbed a few things out and he "let us go" even though it was still a bit overweight.
Our 1st seat mate: was returning home from visiting her grandbabies so she was more than happy to sit next to us on the plane, she kept telling me not to worry if Addie cried a little (and she did on the way up!).
The random pilot: who happened to be getting food where I was frantically trying to grab something before boarding in Detroit to head to the Cincinnati airport, I knew I was cutting it close...but 2 minutes? yup, that's what he came back and reported, followed by...
The gate attendant who wanted to see if I needed any help and didn't even make me show my boarding pass because my hands were so full (2 bags, a cooler, a drink, a "to go" box, oh, and a baby!). I asked her if they were going to leave me, and she said no, that they couldn't leave without her :)
The flight attendant on our 2nd flight: (where we got two seats to ourselves...whew!) who briefed me on how to fly with a baby (holding her upright, supporting her head and spine) and gave us our "1st flight" certificate (and wings!)
The lady across the aisle: who held my drink so I could situate things as we taxied out to the runway.some observations about airlines:
-airplane bathrooms (northwest at least, not delta) have changing tables that fold down, which take approximately 14 pieces of toilet tissue to cover in order to place the changing pad and baby on it
-most flight attendants are pretty nice
-it's ridiculous that some (soon to be all probably) airlines want us to pay $3 for airplane pretzels/trail mix/peanuts (my Sam's trail mix is much tastier and much cheaper!!!) ...but oh those Delta biscotti cookies are yummy!
-drinks are still free (but that's it)
some observations about traveling with an infant:
-there are still some REALLY kind people in this world!
-a mother sees EVERY sweet smile (we think she's darling too) and every scowl (in hopes that my baby 1) won't be on their flight and 2) won't be seated next to them!)
-take a stroller (the baby carrier worked great...but the bags were tough to carry with it!)
-use a backpack or rolling bag...limit what you actually carry on your shoulder/s
-take hand sanitizer (but make sure it's in your little quart size "baggie" so the TSA security lady doesn't scold you!)
-it is possible to go potty while holding a baby and manage not to touch anything!
Upon arriving at the
the Northwest attendant: who, although he called me sweetie one too many times, did keep my bag, label it, and hold it for us until morning.
and last but not least...Julie, who circled with
oh...and I can’t forget the scales: on the way back, my bag weighed EXACTLY 50.0 pounds...the max it could weigh without me having to 1.) take something out and carry it or 2.) pay a "measly" $50 because it was a few pounds overweight!
Isn't God good!!!




I laughed and smiled until I got to the pictures and then I cried--only a little.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe what a wild trip you had! But (as always!) you had a great attitude about it, and you found the best in what could have been a really unpleasant situation.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I miss you!