Thursday, August 21

Poor Miles

Ok, so this blog is supposed to be about Addie. So here's a picture I took of her right after she had fallen asleep and right before I took the next picture.

A little history: Miles is our almost 15 year old diabetic cat. She takes insulin shots twice a day, requires special food, and more frequent vet visits than the other animals (usually) to check her levels. Overall though, she's a fairly low maintenance, easy going cat! She was our 1st baby!

Well, last night, she started having trouble closing her mouth, her tongue was hanging out, and we were afraid she was having a seizure or going into diabetic shock (or something like that). Well, after some poking and prodding, we realized her top two canine teeth were loose and preventing her from closing her mouth (hence her trying to use her tongue to move her teeth back into place).

Now...I've had my fair share of teeth pulled...4 on the top, 4 on the bottom, and 4 wisdom teeth (but I think those were cut out). As a child, I hated the way the gas smelled, so I breathed out of my mouth (and only got that local shot; yes, it hurt!). Needless to say, when I got my wisdom teeth out, I literally inhaled the gas they gave me! Hmmmm, I'm digressing now...

So...this morning, I called the vet and took Miles in. Dr. Armstrong was afraid to sedate her because of her age (and she's diabetic). He didn't even want to give her a block (I think that's a technical term for a local injection to ease the pain). So...he pulled both of her upper canine teeth out without any anesthesia or sedation. I told Paul last night to just give me the pliers, and I could do that just fine. (much cheaper and just as effective!) But given the fact that I lack both a veterinary and dental degree (and I have to live with this cat), he encouraged me not to.

Well, I decided that at least for now she deserved to be able to stay on Addie's changing table for the night...don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment