My husband's a bit of a dork. He's the first to admit it. I love him though.
He played video games long after college. Now he works with computers. I'm thankful he's a computer dork. He can make my Macb00k act like a PC with W1ndows (only when site don't have Mac compatible downloads. otherwise, why would I want that? I know!). He has all of our laptops synced to a desktop that doesn't have a monitor but connects to the wireless router, modem, and printer. And they're all locked, password protected, and encrypted.
You get my point.
He isn't quite as into video games as he used to be. We have one system hooked up now instead of three...or four. I'm not sure the last time he actually played it though. But he still enjoys looking at the new games and deciding if he might want to get one, beat it, and sell it back.
So it wasn't a surprise when he found this: Child's Play Charity, a community of gamers making a difference. They work with hospitals around the world to set up Amazon wish lists so others can help! The hospitals ask for games, game systems, toys, books, and videos to both give to patients and keep at the hospitals for patients to use. Items range from $3 crayons to $300 xbox systems! So far this year, they've had over $450 thousand in gifts and contributions, in the first week! Um...oh, and last year they raised 1.4 million. Wow!
We also follow Kate McCrae's blog. She's a five year old who's finishing her 4th of 6 rounds of chemo for a brain tumor. Her family has created Kates Crazy Cool Christmas, in which they are donating Christmas gifts and Bibles to children and families in Phoenix Children's hospital. You can find out more information about it here.
After having been in the hospital for four long days, I cannot imagine being in the hospital either with a child or as a child for weeks and months on end. It's exhausting. There's no privacy; and whether you feel like it or not, there's nothing to do! So many of these children are confined to their rooms because there immune systems are non-existent. I just cannot imagine.
Again, I'm not sharing these to force something on you. In fact, I'm not even asking you to give. I'm just asking you to check them out; and if it touches you, go for it!
What are some things your family is doing for others this Thanksgiving and Christmas?
our new favorite tradition is sponsoring an additional child through compassion international each year. we actually give the child's picture to our kids as one of their christmas gifts...they love keeping up with their new buddy and sending him/her goodies throughout the year!! and each time we go to publix, we buy one of their donation bags to give to those who don't have much right now. our small group has also adopted three overseas soldiers that we support and encourage through prayer and care packages. love reading your ideas, too!!
ReplyDelete