Sunday, October 17

1 Year Post-Surgery

On October 17th of 2009, I was 10 weeks pregnant with what we knew was twins and were soon to find out was actually triplets.

And...I found myself undergoing unexpected life-saving surgery.

I often times just stare at these little girls in complete awe. There really is no medical explanation for their survival. My blood pressure (and temperature) was either difficult to find or very low for several hours, redirecting blood flow to the major organs of my body in an attempt to keep me alive due to the extensive blood loss that was occurring. Those major organs did not include my uterus. My body was in shock, fighting to communicate to these doctors the need for surgery. Fighting to keep me alive. How does one respond when a surgeon tells you that you had about 2 hours left to live?

I am certain our twins were not protected by my body. They weren't protected by my uterus. There was nothing I could do to save them. There was nothing medically that could have been done to save them. But I continue to be amazed at the unexplainable peace God covered me with. I feel certain that God Himself had our girls tucked gently in His hands for those touch-and-go hours. He continued to breathe life into them, allowing them to beat the odds.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Psalm 139:13

I don't know why He spared my life. I don't know whey He chose to spare the life of these girls. I do know there were two of my closest friends constantly kneeling at the gates of heaven on our behalf early that morning. And I do know His plan is perfect.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11

When I find myself completely overwhelmed; I try to remember this, and I once again find strength in God and not myself.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  
2 Corinthians 12:9b

There were countless people who willingly served our family for weeks and months, and I could write a book with all the emotions I feel right now; but instead, I've included some simple words that bring back the flood of this day a year ago and many days after created.

He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.
Colossians 1:17

Mountains, Tennessee, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge

10 Year Anniversary

Passing out, cold sweat, alone, email, cabin code, 911, 
temporary relief

Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.
Psalm 27:14

Prayer

Ambulance, following, waiting, wondering

Fluids, fluids, fluids

Intense, excruciating, mind numbing, breath taking, worse-than-labor, unexplainable pain

ER, EMT, IV, BP

Gall bladder, appendix, uterus, ovaries

Baffled, waiting, consulting, exploratory, risk-taking

 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight
 Proverbs 3:5-6

Prayer

Hysterectomy, miscarriage, dying, death

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:1-4

Babies, uncertainty, tiny

Peace

Bleeding out, blood, transfusion, units

Emergency, shock, distress

CT, O+, OR, OB, ICU

Wedding rings, necklace, bond, pull-it-together

Brave, in sickness & in health, strong, rock, grounded, godly, sole mate, husband

 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 
Ephesians 5:25

Fear, confusion, exhaustion, alone 
 
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6 

Alone, together, alert, out cold

Nausea, sick, groaning pain

Zofran, phenegran, anesthesia, morphine

Prayer, scripture, prayer, emails, prayer, texting, peace

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 
Philippians 4:6-7

Life-saving, life-changing, life-sparing, Life

I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.  
John 10:10

Heartbeat, dancing, wiggling, alive, perfect, twins

Miracle, miracleS, blessed

Staples, bandage, tape

Leg compressions, catheter, hospital bed, days

Temporary, discomfort, permanent, scar

Family, friends, unselfish, serving

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

Care, commitment

Testimony, purpose

Prayer, Praise, Peace

And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. 
Romans 5:2b-5

Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you.
Psalm 116:7

bIMG_9228

3 comments:

  1. Ok This post had me balling like a baby! Can't believe it has been a year and so thankful that it has! Love you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm with anna...i was totally crying reading through this post. i was crying remembering that night and the countless prayers we prayed for you, paul, and your babies...but crying mostly because i'm thankful for the lord's protection over you all. i love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankful that you and the girls are here and doing great!!

    ReplyDelete