Saturday, November 28

Unconditional Love

I did not take one picture during Thanksgiving. I think that was probably due to the fact that I was merely trying to survive.

However, my sweet father-in-law/Addie's Grandpa did get two fabulous pictures of our girl in a fabulous mood!
IMG_0816
And here's Grandpa with his co-favorite granddaughters as he calls them: Kira and Addie. I cannot believe Addie used to have cheeks like Kira. I love them! Are they adorable or what?!?
IMG_0833
We spent 5 hours in the car getting to Augusta on Wednesday after Paul's root canal only to drive another 5 hours back Friday morning instead of Saturday.

Addie f.r.e.a.k.e.d. o.u.t. Thursday night. Freaked out is about the only way to describe it. She literally lost it. She cried for at least 30 minutes with us trying to comfort her plus the 20 minutes she'd cried in the pack-n-play. (that doesn't touch the 45 minute freak out she had when she woke up this morning!).

Too much food that she refused to eat. Too many people. Too much stimulation. Too much new. Too much fun. Too much running around.

All too soon after her new normal had become her normal.

So we came home. (and she's slept beautifully since then! Almost 12 hours last night!)

And besides, I'd started throwing up for some reason. That brings me to my point of why this post is entitled unconditional love. You may recall, my husband had a root canal Wednesday morning. I drove as far as I could...Newnan. Didn't even make it to Atlanta. Too exhausted.

So Paul drove the rest of the way without complaining even once: unconditional love.

We spent Thursday at Addie's Gramma's/Paul's mom's house (before and after naps). Paul played with Addie. Loved on her. Chased her. Changed her at least 4 times. Was patient with her. Loved on her some more. Kept up with her bow. Calmed her down. Worried about her. And loved on her some more.

All without complaining once: unconditional love.

Friday morning I got sick. In addition to getting sick, we were both exhausted from staying up all night with Addie.

I got to take an hour plus nap before we left, and he had to drive home, all without complaining once: unconditional love.

We get home. He goes to get me dinner. I take one bite, and it's all over. Then he drives all the way to Publix to get me some good bread so I can have toast.

Again: unconditional love.

There is no way I'd have made it through this challenging time without Paul. I know God put him here to give me strength when I just don't have it! He's been the encourager and the motivator. He's found me food to eat when no one else could. He's reminded me that I AM in fact pregnant with twins and had major surgery, thus explaining much of these symptoms of pure exhaustion and nausea. He is the most wonderful husband ever!

As my mom said, we've worn out the for better or for worse, in sickness and in health over the past six weeks.

But I haven't heard my sweet husband complain about caring for me or Addie even once.

Now that's unconditional love!

1 comment:

  1. oh no!!! i'm so sorry you took a few steps back over thanksgiving. how are you (and addie...and paul!) doing now?
    i love you!
    al
    let me know when you need another montgomery run. i'm so there!

    ReplyDelete