Thursday, February 25

Too Much...?

Yup. Too much! I've gained too much weight over the past 3 weeks according to my OB.

I know weight is a taboo subject, but I'm going to talk about it anyway. It's been a huge issue for me with this pregnancy, and it's imperative that I gain enough (but not too much) to help reduce my chances for preterm labor/delivery! 

Just to recap things here:
I lost 10 lbs by 10 weeks.
I didn't gain much of anything for the 4 weeks following.
I finally caught up to my pre-pregnancy weight (where the doctor starts counting) at about 16 weeks.
I put on about 16 lbs over the next 9 weeks.

The American Pregnancy Association recommends (with twins) 4-6 lbs during the first trimester (I lost 10) and 1 and 1/2 pounds per week during the second (19-22lbs) and third trimester (13-19lbs), totaling between 35-45 pounds.

That means by 28 weeks I should have gained approximately 28 lbs. I'm at 25 lbs. 

But over the past 3 weeks (weeks 25-28), I gained 9 whole pounds!

Too much too fast apparently. I was just making up for lost time, eating high carb high fat foods quite proudly! But if I keep that up, I could potentially gain 24 more pounds over the next 8 weeks. Ummm....no!

So I've been instructed to go on a low carb plan. Cut anything white in half portions: bread, potatoes, noodles, etc.

Kinda ironic after what we've been through isn't it!?!

Babies heart rates were perfect: 150 and 156. I actually measured 33 weeks, but that's in comparison to a singleton pregnancy. I kept saying I felt like I was 8 months pregnant...and that proves it!

So, all in all, great report. I'll cut down on those carbs; but to be honest with all of you, I'm pretty proud of that 9 pounds. :)

And because I really don't like doing posts without pictures as much, here's a picture of another variety. In copying my friend Kitty (who's about 3 weeks ahead of me pregnant with twin boys), here's the fruit of the week: Chinese cabbage, which weighs approximately 2 and 1/4 lbs and is about 15 inches long, the same as each baby.
And if you're really interested (and care to see more than I'm willing to post), here's a picture of what the girls should look like. I'll go ahead and tell you that I'm hoping Baby A is still head down, but I'm pretty sure Baby B is still transverse. I guess we'll find out in 4 weeks at our next ultrasound for sure!

Happy Thursday! :)

5 comments:

  1. oh BOO- doctors are never happy with pregnancy weight. i know it's a bigger deal (pardon the expression!) with twins, especially when you have had other health problems! but seriously... give or take 5 pounds as long as your blood pressure & the babies' heart rates are good.
    take good care of yourself & those sweet girlies!
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I think you are perfect!! And sounds like your little ones are too! Still praying for all of you.....
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You looked fabulous when I saw you... You sure don't look like you are carrying TWO babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ditto rachel. just enjoy yourself, eat what you want in moderation, and don't even worry about it. i think doctors' obsession with all that stuff is super silly. they say to not stress growth charts and developmental milestones and the like when your child is born b/c 'every child is different.' they should take their own advice and realize every pregnancy is different too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl...you better NOT pay the weight any attention!!! I gained 70lbs with T and M.....and I lost 10 the week before they came....so don't you dare give it another thought! You eat what you need and what you crave and take care of yourself....weight is the by-product that will all be a think of the past soon!!! Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete