Thursday, October 2

Cloth Diapers



Alrighty...so I promised I'd do a post on cloth diapers. I must first say that cloth diapers are not for everyone! I think a large part of it depends on your family and what works best for you and your child. Many nurseries and daycares/homecares won't accept children in cloth diapers. I'm not condemning people who use disposables. In fact, we currently still use them at night.

So...you're 1st question is probably: what would possess you to switch to cloth diapers?!?!? I can assure you that I am not trying to convince anyone to switch; nor am I telling you that you are harming your child by using them. But...here are my reasons (in no specific order):
  1. disposables are expensive, even with coupons and buying in bulk: we've spent an estimated $300 over the past 6 months on disposables. If (big if), Addie's potty trained by 2, that is $1200 on just her diapers! (and I think my numbers are actually low because they are based on size 1 & 2 diapers...they increase in price as they get bigger. I've read on several sites the average is closer to $1600 in 2 years!);
  2. traditional disposable diapers contain several chemicals: among others...chlorine (20lbs of it each year for one baby alone)...sit on that for a minute;
  3. disposable diapers do not decompose...for a long, long, long time (disposables account for nearly half the trash discarded in a household with a baby);
  4. cloth diapers are not the same as when we were growing up;
  5. supposedly many children potty train sooner with cloth diapers;
  6. we don't have to use cloth diapers 24/7; we can use them when it works for us!
You can read more about why some families choose cloth diapers here or here.

After reading more reviews on diapers than I care to admit, we have we tried:
A few answers to questions you might have...
  • Have they leaked? Once...when I was running errands for too long...so it was my fault! :) Otherwise...no!
  • How often do you have to change her? I typically try not to go more than 2 hours. Since there's really no "wicking" away with cloth diapers, it's best to change them more often.
  • Which one is your favorite? I like the fitted diaper + wrap/cover concept. However, I did use the BumGenius pocket diaper for the first time...and loved it!
  • Aren't you grossed out if you have to wash one out? Nope...not anymore, that is. Kitchen gloves work GREAT!
  • Do I have a pail of water with dirty diapers in it sitting around? Nope...we "dry store" them. Letting them sit in water actually wears down the fabric and elastic faster.
  • Aren't you harming the environment just as much by doing more loads of laundry? Nope...I read somewhere that it's the equivalent of flushing a toilet 5-6 more times a day (which is exactly what will happen when our child is potty trained!). And...we use 1/4 of the amount of detergent on diapers as we use on a regular load of laundry.
  • Does Addie like them? I'm not sure...but she certainly doesn't seem to dislike them!
  • Do you think you're going to "save the earth" by using cloth diapers? Nope, but no matter how small, it will make a difference.
  • Would I recommend it to others? I would recommend at least trying it. That's how we got started!

chilling in her Kissaluv fitted diaper + Imse Vimse diaper cover

So there's my spill on cloth diapers! Have an awesome Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! You've jumped full-force into a world I've toyed with entering, but I haven't taken the plunge yet. :-) For those times when a cloth diaper isn't very convenient, try looking into gDiapers. I think you'd like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are insane. And brave. And I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't use prefolds. I used flat diapers in a rectangle shape and folded them myself. However, I don't mind your prefolds so you can save them for when I change Addie. Love you MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally with you on the BumGenius thing - love them. Keep spreading the cloth diaper love :-)

    ReplyDelete