Sunday, September 14

Pitiful Puppy

No, I'm not referring to the dogs. Yes, it's Addie. She woke up a little congested sounding this morning and by the time we got home from church (all dazed and confused), she had a fever. We're praying it's teeth, but the pediatrician said they typically don't run a fever this high with teeth. Still hoping.

We're all hunkered down in the push back chair with an extra large lovey (because mommy stupidly, I mean accidentally, threw BOTH loveys in the wash at once) ...taking a snooze.


My problem here: thermometers. We have a pacifier thermometer, underarm (traditional) thermometer, and the good ol' rectal thermometer. The ranges of temperatures we got (all have been converted to "mouth" temperature readings...+0.9 the arm and -0.9 the rectal temp): 99.4, 100.1, 100.5, 100.9, 101.1, 101.4. And I'm talking about in a matter of minutes. Now you tell me how on the earth I am supposed to figure out what my child's temperature is?

So, instead of sending an email to my friends (like I did about car seats and wagons and baby items one just can't live without), I'm doing (what Jen calls) my "friend survey" here! Why reinvent the wheel when I have such a wealth of knowledge and experience at my finger tips! So all you moms out there, what do you use in this day and age to accurately determine if your child has a temperature?

*Update: After one round of Tylenol not touching it, baby Motrin has done wonders! She's now screeching at us from her exersaucer, the fever is down, and we're praying for a good nights sleep for everyone!

**Update Monday Morning: She now has a really gunky nose and sooooo conjested. Another "friend survey" question: what do you do for your child/children when they have a cold!?!?!

3 comments:

  1. I have absoutely no idea how to tell Bennett's temp. I went through the exact same thing as you and so I am of no help at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna!
    Sorry to hear Addie isn't feeling great. Our pediatrician told us we could give Edward Children's Sudafed. You may also want to try a humidifier and propping up her mattress so that she sleeps on an incline until she is feeling better. Hope this helps!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor addie!
    james had the same symptoms last week-so sad!
    i used a humidifier in his room and put a phonebook under his mattress for a few nights.
    i also put saline drops in his nose and would wait about ten minutes, then use the bulb syringe!
    hope she feels better soon...

    ReplyDelete