Tuesday, October 20

Quick Update

I've tried to get the energy up to do a quick update before this, but it just hasn't happened.

Yesterday, Monday, was great. The pain pump meds were still in my system as I transitioned onto oral meds. I got up and took a shower with Paul's assistance. I walked the halls, twice. I ate dinner sitting in a chair. By late last night, I was hurting. Hurting something serious. There's a lot that goes on in your body after surgery. Things I've never had to experience, thankfully! Bottom line, it stinks! I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

My incision goes from the base of my rib cage down. There are three layers of sutures, two with stitches and the top with staples. Paul counted 35 staples. I think it's about 7 inches long. I wasn't ever big on wearing two piece bathing suits, but I will never wear another one now! There is nothing pretty about this incision!

When I stand up, it feels like someone has attached an anchor to my stomach. But the more I move the easier it gets! The pulling and tugging is unbelievable. There's swelling and bruising, but nothing, and I mean nothing could compare to the pain I was in early Saturday morning. So I give thanks!

We got to see the twins again this morning (Tuesday). What a sweet sight. Precious heartbeats. Wiggling arms and legs. We think they are perfect.

Here are some Specific Prayer Requests:
  • travel safety: we will be making the 6 hour journey home tomorrow, which will probably take about 8 hours. Please pray for safety, limited pain, and lots of patience on all of our parts!
  • healing for my incision and limited pain at the incision site as the twins begin to grow
  • protection for the babies from any stress they endured, procedures that I had done, and medications that I have to take now
  • Addie: she needs her Mama, and I can't meet all of her needs right now. There are very few people that we're releasing her to, for her benefit, not ours. Please don't be offended if we ask you to come to us or help in an altogether different way. It isn't that we don't trust you, we're just trying to maintain as much consistency with her as possible; and right now, that has a lot to do with her proximity to us. Please pray that people will be receptive to this and still willing to help our family.
  • Paul: for inexplainable energy and peace! He's exhausted but wants to care for both me and Addie. He's been an amazing rock for me, never budging. Please pray for his strength and ability to juggle more than he's used to handling. He's already done such a good job balancing things!
  • That, as a family, we would continue to draw closer to our Heavenly Father. We want to first and foremost rely on His strength and then on each others. That every word we speak and thing we do would bring glory to Him. He is the reason we are here.
To be completely honest with you, I am most grateful to be alive. Our God has done miraculous things here. Not only should I not be here but neither should these twins. I'll write more on the third baby later. I'm still processing things.

When my mom had breast cancer, we came face to face with the possibility of her dying. I fully believe that God provided the doctors and nurses here on earth to treat and cure her. He is the Greatest Physician.

But this is different, for me at least. I'm now the one that just came face to face with death. As Paul's wife. As Addie's mother. And the Great Physician held me in the palm of His hand. It was His choice whether I would live or die. It was His choice whether the twins would survive. He gave the knowledge to the doctors, the wisdom of what to search for, and the steady hand to remove from my body what was killing me without causing more damage. I don't know why God has chosen this path for me or these babies. I can only rest in the fact that He's got it all under control and has beautiful things planned for our lives!

It changes your perspective. What was once an ordeal is just trivial to us. What we once cared about, seems insignificant. It isn't that we don't care, it's just that our little family has bonded even closer over the past 5 days. I've had to rely on Paul for so much. But most importantly, I've had to rely on the strength from our God to literally survive.

You have turned my mourning into dancing, Lord
Now my feet are filled with your praise
You have clothed my spirit with a robe of joy
You've cast my sorrow away

6 comments:

  1. Prayers are still heading your way. Thank you for being open and listing your specific needs right now. I have printed them and put them in my prayer journal and will lift those up in prayer for you and your family. Just remember that just as God held you in His hands through all this meeting each of your needs, He is also holding Addie close to Him providing her needs. I hate when I am out of commission and can't care for Ayda at 100% so I can only imagine how you feel. Keep resting and getting yourself better! Lots of love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing! Thank you so much for keeping us all up to date on what's going on and what you need, I know you must be exhausted and in pain! Hopefully, you are starting to feel better!!
    I know that God has such incredible plans for you and your family! I'm glad you are getting to go home now! We will continue to pray for you, Paul, Addie and the twins! I'm here if you need me to do ANYTHING!! Love you bunches! -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so amazing! Thank you so much for keeping us all up to date on what's going on and what you need, I know you must be exhausted and in pain! Hopefully, you are starting to feel better!!
    I know that God has such incredible plans for you and your family! I'm glad you are getting to go home now! We will continue to pray for you, Paul, Addie and the twins! I'm here if you need me to do ANYTHING!! Love you bunches! -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna,

    I work with Paul and Colleen sent your blog and the update from Tuesday. You, Paul, Addie, the twins, and the rest of your family are in my prayers. I've added y'all to other prayer lists that I participate in so there is LOTS of love and praise coming your way. Be strong, tell Paul to keep his chin up, and know that God is with you always.

    Debbie Irvin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you and so is our church - Hamilton Crossroads Church of Christ in Brundidge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeremiah 29:11. I love you Anna, and praying for you all daily.

    ReplyDelete