Tuesday, October 13

Released

It's strange for me to start sharing our fertility journey of these twins having kept it quiet for so long. But it's something that I think people need to be aware of. I think most of us have been touched in someway by someone who has walked this road. Either a relative or a friend or a friend of a friend. It's much more talked about and accepted than it was years ago.

We met with our fertility doctor, Dr. Long, today. He's with the Alabama Reproductive Technologies (ART) Program. It's based in Birmingham, but they have offices in Montgomery, Tuscaloosa, and Huntsville. The only times we had to travel to Birmingham were for the initial appointment and then any Saturday or Sunday appointments. Since cycles don't take weekends, they are open on the weekends for procedures that cannot wait until Monday or be done on Fridays, such as monitoring blood work/ultrasounds or doing IUI's.

Anyway, we had a video conference with Dr. Long.

He's fabulous. Calm. Knowledgeable. Matter of fact yet gentle. Speaks and yet listens. Doesn't make you feel stupid.

We talked basic pregnancy stuff like food and nausea and medicine and weight gain and the babies' health. He reiterated that no matter how much (or little) nutrients I get, the babies will get what they need. Amazing how God works! We talked about the H1N1 vaccine and the pros/cons of taking/not taking it.

And then we talked some about twins.

According to our doctor, 80-90% of women deliver twins via c-section. I've read as low as 50-60% online though. It all depends on how twin A is positioned and what twin B decides to do! :) We'll see!

95% of twins are born before 37 weeks.

The magic number: 34 weeks.

All organs, lungs, everything is developed by 34 weeks with twins. After that, they are just getting bigger.

Again, absolutely amazing how God works! Two babies are squished into a much smaller space. Therefore, they develop faster so they can come sooner! Amazing! Perfect!

Our first goal: 28-30 weeks (end of February)

Our second goal: 32 weeks (mid-March, Addie's birthday)

Our final goal: 34 weeks (beginning of April)

I had 37 weeks in my head. You know, end of April.

I was a little taken aback to think that we've basically got to have everything ready by the end of February, just to be safe. That's about 4 and a half months.

And then he released me to my OB. No more weekly ultrasounds. I will miss those!

So who wants to help us move the guest bed, sofa, and desk out of the guest bedroom and box up the books? And paint. And make bedding (after we find out what we're having). Like soon...

Ohhhhhh, nevermind...I'll worry about that later. For now, I'm just going to try to get some food down!

Fun times coming...

5 comments:

  1. Anna, I am so happy for you. I will be praying that you can make it as long as possible, but that the babies will be healthy and ready no matter when the time comes. Rest as much as possible and know that you have an army of people praying for you every step of the way. We are also praying for Addie. We pray this will be a smooth transition for her as well. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to help! i'm totally in painting mode right now, and i'd LOVE to paint a little baby (babies!) room!
    yay for being released to "regular" care- praying for safety for all of you!
    love,
    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anna, As soon as this test is over and I pass, I will help! I cannot wait. I will have to study for two more, but the next one is not until Jan 19th. Praying for God's timing in this and that these babies will be born when they are ready!! Love ya!

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know 2 Lauren W's!
    I'll have to start signing my posts LGW. Thanks for sharing all of your info, I am loving it!
    LGW

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my....Dr. Long was our doctor also!!! We utilized the Montgomery clinic as much as possible we he was our angel when it cames to "our angels"....We made it to 38 weeks....I actually had to be induced...and had them naturally! I had a few preterm scares and even got the steroids for their lungs but in the end they were FULL TERM!!! So proud for you!!! Oh...and Morgan was just an additional blessing...so help needed...we never dreamed I could get pregnant and here we are with her due in Dec. Best of health girl!!!

    ReplyDelete