I guess this has turned into a 3 part post:
People's Reactions, How'd Twins Happen?, and Random Thoughts from a Pregnant Woman!
People's Reactions:
I think the most interesting thing we've encountered so far have been people's reactions to us telling them we are having twins. Most people have hugged us, rejoiced with us, and been all around excited for us! They're babies! They're gifts! But we've had people laugh at us...literally, bust out laughing. Huh? We've had people give us the OMG are you serious? look like we've lost our ever loving minds and just told them the worst thing ever! We've gotten the good luck with that reaction. And the well at least it's not triplets or quints reaction. Hmmmm...I like the first reactions best.
How'd Twins Happen...?
The number one question we've gotten about the twins is: Are they fraternal or identical?
The next question is: Do they run in your family or Paul's?
The reason that we believe we are having twins is due to fertility shots. I will say though, I had the same number of eggs released as with Addie (we did shots and an IUI (not IVF)), 4-5 mature eggs. But this time we ended up with twins. Our doctors are very careful to give the lowest possible doses possible. They will not follow through with an IUI (intrauterine insemination) if there are too many mature eggs. Had we done IVF (in-vitro), they would have implanted max 2 eggs (not 6 or 7). They are very conservative in their decisions and keep the best interest of the mother and any babies that might be conceived in mind. Just fyi.
However, I do have fraternal twins in our family. My great grandfathers (my mother's mother's father) was a fraternal twin. There have been no twins since then though. I'm hoping that I might be able to carry them easier than someone who doesn't have those (possible) genes in their family. We'll see!
The average woman has a 3-5% chance of having multiples, depending on your age and birth history. Using shots and IUI as fertility treatments ups the woman's chance to around 35% for twins!
There are SO many misconceptions about twins, most of which I had before we got pregnant with them! But I decided to do a little research the other day when all I could do was lay on the sofa due to feeling yucky.
We can be almost certain that these twins are fraternal. Fraternal twins are always found in different sacs/amniotic fluid with separate placentas, where as identical twins might share or have separate sacs or placentas depending on when the egg splits. It is fairly obvious that these are in separate sacs. Given the number of eggs released and statistics, these babies are most likely fraternal (but i'm not ruling anything out!).
Here's the low-down on what I've read about twins, the very basics, none of which I knew:
-Fraternal twins are hereditary. Identical are not. (i thought it was the opposite)
-Identical twins (when the egg splits) are a complete fluke and doctors do not know exactly why it happens.
-The fraternal twin gene can be passed down to children by either the father or the mother.
-The fraternal twin gene does not have to skip a generation. In fact, if a woman is a fraternal twin, she's more likely to have fraternal twins!
-In order for a woman to get pregnant with fraternal twins, she would have to have the gene somewhere in her family (in most cases). Otherwise, it would most likely be due to fertility treatments. This gene (or the shots) causes her to produce an excess amount of FSH, the follicle stimulating hormone, thus allowing her to release 2 or more eggs at a time. The father (the baby's father, not her's) nor his genes have anything to do with this part (sorry dads).
Now...if Paul has the fraternal twin gene, he could pass it down to our children; but he couldn't cause us to have twins.
Random Thoughts from a Pregnant Woman
Not that I've ever had twins, but apparently there are some interesting questions that complete strangers ask parents of twins (I'm sure I'm guilty). Like which one is the good one? and How do you tell them apart? (honestly, I'd like to know that!) Or way too personal questions like: did you use fertility treatments? (I'm so guilty of at least wondering this bc we did!) or Did you have them naturally or by c-section? Um...personal! I understand the questions because I'm totally guilty of being fascinated with twins or triplets. Then again...I just love all babies! But I will certainly be more conscientious from now on!
I remember when my best friend was pregnant with her first. I was fascinated and so excited for her. I remember telling her that all I wanted to do when I saw a pregnant lady (that I knew) was touch their belly, but that I didn't; and she agreed...don't! (She did let me feel her little boy kick, but it wasn't me initiating it!). I mean, when you think about it, would you really walk up to someone who wasn't pregnant and touch their belly? Um...no! I only had to stop a few people from doing that when I was pregnant with Addie. And I did not hesitate! I'd back away or put my hand up. I wonder if it's different when your belly is twice the size. Apparently so.
So what are your questions about twins? I still have so many! Do share!
Do you think we'll have 2 boys? 2 girls? or one of each?
And no, I don't care if you ask me questions about them...but don't dare try to touch my belly that's already showing! ;)
Congratulations Anna! How exciting! I have a few friends and a cousin with fraternal twins and the more I think about it, if you can get through the first 18 months, it will actually get easier than just having 3 singles. Just think~ taking two to the same practice or dance class instead of going to two different places. I will be praying for you during your pregnancy. This is so exciting! I think maybe two girls again :)
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you... there could not be a better mom for twins... you are so organized it will be easy for you... and I think it will be a girl and a boy!!
ReplyDeleteGet ready...the questions NEVER stop. And we have boy/girl and STILL get the "are they identical" question the most...and as you can see they look nothing alike! Congrats to you...it is double the work but I can honestly say it is twice the blessing!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Wamsteds! I remember the reactions we got when we first told everybody about our triplets. I would like to say all of them were great. However, majority of them were just way "out there". I could write a whole book on the questions and comments alone.
ReplyDeleteAfter 4 years, we still get the looks, questions, and comments. That is why I have only a third of my tongue left because I'm constantly biting it.
-CG
Once the babies are here, maybe you and I should write a book. You can handle the "twin" chapters, and I'll take the "adoption" chapters. Because yes, lovely lady at the grocery store, I am well aware of the fact that children from Ethiopia aren't white.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
Oh Anna. I have been away from the web for awhile so I missed out on the big announcement. There are so many things I want to say, but all I can really articulate is, congratulations! I am so very happy for you. Rob is an identical twin and is so close to his brother. You're going to love it.
ReplyDeleteI am an identical twin! I just found your blog thru...well, I don't know! I am identical. There are no twins in my family, and I've always been told we're a "freak of nature!" :) But I love it! We've been best friends growing up, got married within 4 months of each other, and hopefully we'll raise our children together! Some weird questions your kids will get are, "If I hit you can she feel it?" (Stupidest question ever!!) "Can you finish each other's sentences?" (The answer to this is YES) "Can you read each other's minds?" (Sometimes!!) Being twins is so awesome, I wouldn't have it any other way :) (Of course, I can't imagine it any other way!) Congratulations to you!!
ReplyDelete