Saturday, August 7

[the Lake] Part 9: Catching Bugs

I will be the first to admit that Addie has her Daddy's memory. For that, I am incredibly grateful, as it will serve her well in the future! For now, it tends to get her little mind stuck on things. And when I say stuck, I mean hyperfocused stuck! Animals are always in the forefront of her mind (I can't imagine where she gets that!), but I was a little surprised when she got really stuck on {BUGS}.

Little tiny ants.

Buzzing flies.

Creepy caterpillars.

Beautiful butterflies.

Web spinning spiders!

...and darting dragonflies!

They were everywhere at the lake. Apparently dragonflies eat mosquitoes; and if you live anywhere near the south, you know how bad the mosquitoes are around here! Whether it was the dragonflies or something else, I was quite grateful how few (none) mosquitoes we saw at the lake, especially with all that water (some of which was pretty stagnant).
bIMG_1296
So each morning, Addie would venture out with either Daddy, Gail, Grandpa or me and search for bugs! She learned to creep up on the dragonflies so she could watch them. She loved finding spiderwebs and seeing what was in them. But I think the thing that surprised me the most was what she did here:

She knew she wasn't allowed to touch the bugs, so she grabbed some pine straw and {played} with them that way...
bIMG_1813
(it takes a lot of concentration!)
bIMG_1804
bIMG_1800
As Addie would say, Want to see what I found? A string of mayflies. 
bIMG_1816
{dead} mayflies that were supposed to be some spiders breakfast!
bIMG_1801
Loving that sweet face.

I'm {sure} you're getting tired of Lake posts...but {only} 3 more and I'm done!

No comments:

Post a Comment