I finally caved.
Addie couldn't go any longer without a haircut.
I was dreading it.
I could just envision the tears. The tantrum. The meltdown. The crying and gnashing of teeth. The drama.
The motivation: she's been not only twisting her hair as she goes to sleep, but she's been knotting it so tightly that she's pulling it out.
Why? You're guess is as good as ours: two new baby sisters, potty training, being two, wanting attention, just because she can.
We've talked about it. We've ignored it. We've carefully picked knots out, attempting to save every last inch of hair we can. We've cut out knots ourselves. We've begged. We've pleaded. We've fussed. And we've ignored again. Nothing worked.
But when one side of her hair ended up almost 2 inches shorter than the other, I caved. Really. I just couldn't stand it anymore. All those beautiful curls.
I decided there wasn't anyone else I trusted with Addie's first haircut than J. Leigh, who's been cutting my crazy curly hair for years.
It started just as I envisioned:
Thankfully J Leigh is super patient, and there's not much a sucker can't fix!
Of course it had to start with getting the tangles out:
And then it was onward and upward:
A snip here. A trim there. A little shaping.
(can you see the huge difference in thickness of the left and right side of her hair?)
those sweet locks of hair:
My saving grace: it's obviously going to stay curly, and it will grow back!
Of course you can't leave without a 2nd sucker for being such a BIG girl!
Check out her new do! Don't let her pouty face fool you!
And what's a photo op without a smile-for-the-camera face!
I think that was as painless as it could be...for Addie and Mommy!
Tonight I put her to bed with three pigtails. Nap time resulted in no knots. We'll see how bedtime goes!
*a special thank you to the lady at Amplify who's dating a professional photographer and had actually shot with a 5D! thanks for being so creative and taking pictures for us even though the lighting was crazy!









Oh, I LOVE it!
ReplyDeleteGrace sucks her middle right fingers and twists/knots her hair with her left hand...and has since she was 6 months old {corrected}.
I have cut out a few knots...a few too many.
I have thought about getting the girls haircuts..but im not as strong as you just yet!
maybe for their birthday??? :)