Tuesday, December 23

Moooooooooooore!

When I hear the word "more", it makes me think of the Disney movie Oliver that my brother and I watched as children (and I mean the 1968 version...not the new one. Hmmmm, I think I'm dating myself.). But you know...when Oliver Twist is in the orphanage and says, "Please sir, can I have some more?" With which the mean old man replies, "Mooooooooore?" and they break into song! Well, back to here and now...

It became quite apparent about 3 months ago that Addie was really starting to know what she wanted (and wanted now). The only way she knew how to communicate though was with screams, cries, or grunts. That got old real fast.

After watching my friend Allison use sign language with both her first (for early communication) and second (due to severe ear infections to bridge the gap), I decided that it made sense to use a combination of words and sign language with Addie starting as early as possible. I really believe that it will reduce frustration for Addie as well as Mommy and Daddy. :)

Most of what I read recommended starting anywhere from 6-8 months of age. We have been working with Addie since she was around 6 months old. I seriously wondered if she had any idea what I was having her do! But after 2-3 weeks of having her use the sign language symbol for "more" when she ate (or initially I fed her) cheerios, it clicked.

Do I have a genius on my hands? Well of course, she's my child and she's perfect! ;) Isn't yours? But all kidding aside, it's been amazing to watch her see what she wants and then tell us "more" for items other than cheerios. What's been funny is that when she wants my phone or keys (neither of which I regularly let her have), she does the symbol for "more." Hmmm...that creates another issue in and of itself. Not to worry...we don't give her everything she "mores!"

There is, of course with most baby and educational topics, controversy on the advantages and disadvantages of teaching sign language to babies. Results in higher IQ? Advances child development? Delays verbal language?

Since she's already a genius and developmentally far above her peers seemingly right on track, I'm not concerned about raising her IQ or advancing her development. Delaying verbal language? My argument #1: she's a girl! Argument #2: We were recently around a 21 month old who 1) speaks very little (barely mama and dada) and 2.) has never been taught sign language. Can't explain that language delay with sign language. That was enough for me!

Besides, who doesn't talk to their child as they teach sign language (unless a child is hearing impaired)? How can connecting a gesture with a word delay language development? We teach them "yes" and "no" and "hold me" without hesitation. Right?

As I've tried to do with cloth diapers (we've been in disposables all week because she's had an upset tummy with this fever virus. why wash out 6-7 diapers a day when I can usually get away with washing out maybe 1-2 each week!), homemade baby food (gerber on sale? great variety!), or toys containing pvc (more about that later)...moderation is the key. Do what you can when you can and don't worry about it the rest of the time! I figure the minute I start freaking out about stuff, not only will Addie be right behind me...so will her Daddy!

I have found this website that we've used frequently to learn the signs ourselves. There's an article here from an organization called Signing Time that I found interesting. And you can find an article from Parents Magazine here and an article from Time Magazine here.

So where will we go from here? We've already started working on the signs for: please, food, drink, milk, and thank you. We'll add Mommy and Daddy soon. But for now...we're focusing on please, food, and drink! Keep it simple!

More?!?!?
sometimes it starts here...

usually this is how she does it


...and sometimes it makes it to her mouth.
***these pictures were taken a month or so ago...my how she's changed!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for signing! Isabel finally picked up on "more" a couple of weeks ago. And like Addie, it's become more of an "I want" for anything she thinks would be a fun playtoy. :-)

    ReplyDelete